According to Stanwood PD, there has been a spike in residential burglaries in north Snohomish County in the last month. While there has not been any announcement of recent burglary trends in south Snohomish County, burglaries were dramatically reduced last summer. With the warmer weather and longer days burglaries become more likely occurences in our neighborhoods.
Stanwood PD recommends the following 5 actions to prevent yourself from becoming a burglary victim:
1. Lock your windows and doors.
2. Be a good neighbor and report suspicious vehicles and/or people.
3. Know what valuables are in your home. Keep (or store) a list of items and their serial numbers as well as photographs of jewelry. (Operation ID: http://sheriff.snoco.org/Documents/Operation%20ID.pdf )
4. If you do choose to store high value items, cash, jewelry inside of your home, keep them secured in a hidden safe. If you do not have access to a safe, at least store these items in a place not likely searched by the burglar. These places might include: Under the kitchen sink with cleaning supplies, rear lower shelf of pantry, bathroom, etc. Jewelry boxes, sock and desk drawers are poor places to hide valuables.
5. Invest in a reliable, audible home alarm system.
Source: The Herald http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110603/blog41/110609933/1131/news08
Things seem to have been pretty quiet over the last few months as far as burglaries and car prowls/car thefts. Have you heard any reports of burglaries, car prowls/car thefts or suspicious activity in your neighborhood?