Tuesday, November 20, 2012

LYNNWOOD- Winter Weather Safety Tips

The holiday season is a time of year for many safety reminders. Shannon Sessions, the Public Information Officer for the Lynnwood Police Department has recently issued following press release with several winter safety reminders:

“We already know this is going to be a difficult winter. Experts are warning that this isn’t the last time we will have the threat of lower temperatures and/or snow.

In light of those anticipated weather warnings, it is expected that some people will search for alternative heating sources and/or try to save time by heating up their vehicles while inside and sipping that last bit of coffee or tea…

It is important to spread the word on the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and leaving warming vehicles running and unattended.

       During the winter months, many people warm up their cars in the morning and then leave them unattended. Don’t do this! Not only is it against the law, but a running car is also an invitation to a car thief. TIP: cover your windshield with a towel each night which will keep it clear from the burden of the frost and/or snow.

       Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. Locate units away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

       The primary hazards to avoid when using alternate sources for electricity, heating or cooking are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock and fire. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that could kill without warning.

       Install carbon monoxide alarms in central locations on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.

       If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door.

       Call for help from the fresh air location and remain outside the location until emergency personnel arrive to assist you. “         


No comments:

Post a Comment