The high volume of online shopping and delivery of package before Christmas increases the opportunity for thieves to steal packages from home front porches.
There are some things you can do to deter or prevent package theft.
· Long time readers of this blog understand the benefits of keeping an eye out for suspicious activity. If a vehicle looks like it is following a UPS, FEDEX, or Postal Service truck, that is worth a call to 911, with the license number and a description of the vehicle, and, if possible, a description of the occupants.
· Follow the package’s progress on the web site of the carrier or with a package tracking app on your phone.
· Insure the contents of the package.
· Alert a trusted neighbor- ask them to retrieve the package and give it to you when you get home.
· Have it delivered to your place of work.
· Require a signature- If you are not at home, the drivers will not leave the package at the door. The delivery service will try to deliver the package in a few days or you can pick it up at a nearby distribution center.
· Have it held at the post office, or FEDEX or UPS distribution facility for pick up.