Friday, July 15, 2016

CODE ENFORCEMENT- Helping with Quality of Life

Sometimes there is a house in your neighborhood that becomes an eyesore. In some cases, you might suspect that the occupants are dealing drugs. Obviously, you can call one of the non-emergency phone numbers, (425) 407-3999 for SNOPAC and (425) 775-3000 for SNOCOM (unless you see drug activity in progress, then call 911) or a tip to the Snohomish Regional Drug and Gang Task Force at (425) 388-3479 or via email at

Investigations take time and citizens rarely receive “updates” on how things are going. Also, law enforcement officials may find that even despite the looks, there may not be drug activity at that location. So that still leaves the neighborhood with a junky house.

One other agency to contact is Snohomish County Code Enforcement. Code Enforcement investigates complaints about building, zoning, land use and nuisance issues in the unincorporated portion of the county. Enforcing county building and zoning codes goes beyond junkyard conditions in residential neighborhoods. Specific complaints can include building setbacks, dangerous buildings, violations of the Endangered Species Act, fences/retaining walls, grading (excavation/filling), illegal placement of mobile homes. Code Enforcement’s website says that it will investigate complaints to determine if there is a violation and determine appropriate action. It works with all affected parties toward a resolution. The Snohomish Regional Drug and Gang Task Force and the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office often works with Code Enforcement to resolve quality of life issues.

To make a complaint to Code Enforcement and for more information about Code Enforcement resources, go to:


Is there help and/or aid for homes where there isn't drug dealing but the owners are elderly and have no means to keep up their property?


Check with Volunteers of America in Everett. They may be able to refer you to a program that can help. Their number is 211 or (800) 223-8145 and their web address is

You can also contact Snohomish County Human Services which may have a program that can help low-income households. Its web address is

Also, the homeowners ay be able to get an exemption or deferral on their property taxes from the county, which might help. More information on this can be found at

No comments:

Post a Comment