On Thursday, January 17, a family’s home was burglarized while they were shopping at Costco. The family was at Costco for only an hour. When they returned home they found that someone had taken their jewelry and all of their electronic gadgets. The burglars entered the house through a side window, apparently circumventing their alarm system.
Note: While little more detail is known about this incident it does provide some pointers:
- Usually, the rule of thumb is that most burglaries occur in the spring and summer when the weather is warmer and the days are longer. However, burglaries do happen in the winter, even with the cold weather that we have been having in the last two weeks.
- While we do not have information on how the burglars circumvented the alarm, think about the following if you have an alarm:
- Always arm your alarm system when you leave your house, even if you plan to be away for only a short time.
- When you install your alarm system, ensure that you have adequate coverage of your home. A good alarm installer can assess and what types of sensors to use and where to place them to reliably set off an alarm when an intruder enters your home.
- If you are thinking about installing an alarm system, remember:
- Get bids from 3 or more companies.
- There are two types of systems that you can use:
- A monitored alarm system through a major company that that will first verify if there is a problem (usually with a phone call to you or someone you designate) before calling the local 911 agency.
- A non-monitored alarm system that has a loud siren outside of the house that can alert neighbors. This is especially valuable if your neighbor know to call 911 if they hear the alarm.
- For more information about alarms and surveillance cameras go to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office web site: