The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office has issued the following statement on its Facebook page regarding clowns:
“A statement about clowns: The Sheriff’s Office has no evidence of a credible threat to public safety in regards to the recent reports of “clown sightings” in Snohomish County. Unless there is evidence of a potential crime, Sheriff’s Office deputies and our partner city police officers will not respond to clown sightings reported to 911.
“This is another example of the media's irresponsible approach to dealing with an issue and fueling panic," said Sheriff Ty Trenary.
We offer the following advice to those who are concerned or have questions about this latest internet hoax:
1. Anytime you witness someone committing an actual crime (trespass, harassment, car prowl, etc.), whether they are dressed as a clown or a pirate or a regular citizen, you should call 911.
2. Making a threat towards individuals or communities (e.g. a school) – whether via a social media post, text message or other form of communication – is a crime and will be investigated as such.
3. Walking around in public in a clown costume is not a crime.
4. Acting or looking suspicious is also not a crime *unless the suspect displays threatening or criminal behavior* (see #1 and #2).
5. Making false reports to law enforcement is a crime.”
Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office: